Free Howard Pyle Books: List of Illustrated Editions on Google Books



One of the many amazing authors I've fallen in love with via AmblesideOnline's Charlotte Mason Curriculum is the incomparable Howard Pyle.

It doesn't hurt that I have two little boys who love knights, swords, and fairy tales. But, just like I include books about girls, like Understood Betsy and The Secret Garden, in our reading time, I think Howard Pyle's exciting and inspirational stories should be enjoyed by boys and girls and adults, too!

I've been thrilled to pick up many of the titles listed below at used book sales. Also, since Pyle's titles are available in the public domain, it should be easy for anyone with a tablet, phone or computer to enjoy these stories. But when I first started reading Pyle, I couldn't find good illustrated versions that would upload correctly to my tablet.

That is why I have curated the following list of free, illustrated Howard Pyle books available on Google Books. Once they are downloaded to "Your Library" you can read them via the free Google Play Books app or you can also read them on a computer or even print PDFs of the text.

I can't vouch for all of the titles below, because we haven't read them all yet. But I can tell you that we have loved every one we've read this far, including The Wonder Clock, Men of Iron, Otto of the Silver Hand, Some Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, and The Story of King Arthur and His Knights.

Some we've read during our morning time, some have been part of our formal reading/literature lessons, and some were enjoyed around the lunch table. Can you tell I love reading these?

The only major title I'm missing is Pepper and Salt, but even though it isn't available in my preferred Google Books version, a full PDF is available via The Internet Archive.

Free Howard Pyle Books: List of Illustrated Editions on Google Books


The Garden Behind the Moon: A Real Story of the Moon Angel by Howard Pyle

Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates by Howard Pyle

Men of Iron by Howard Pyle

A Modern Aladdin: Or, The Wonderful Adventures of Oliver Munier by Howard Pyle

Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle

Rejected of Men by Howard Pyle

The Rose of Paradise by Howard Pyle

The Ruby of Kishmoor by Howard Pyle

Some Merry Adventures of Robin Hood: Of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire by Howard Pyle

The Story of Jack Ballister's Fortunes By Howard Pyle

The Story of King Arthur and His Knights by Howard Pyle

The Story of the Champions of the Round Table by Howard Pyle

The Story of the Grail and The Passing of Arthur by Howard Pyle

The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions by Howard Pyle

Twilight Land by Howard Pyle

Within the Capes by Howard Pyle

The Wonder Clock: Or, Four & Twenty Marvellous Tales, Being One for Each Hour of the Day by Howard Pyle

If you like free ebooks, check out my other lists of free books.


Which one do you want to read first?


You may also enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment